Monday, November 4, 2013

Why I Do NaNoWriMo

 I am a pretty consistent writer.
    Not consistent in "I write every day" (I don't) but consistent in "I write every year, every season, whenever something big isn't immovably in my way I'm either writing, thinking about writing, or talking about it."

  So it's no surpirse that I've racked up A LOT of wordcount all told, and several book length ms.
  I've released two YA low fantasy novels, and I've got too many WIPs to shake a stick at. (All of which I am working on!)

 So why do I do NaNoWriMo?

 Because it's fun...
   Because it's energizing in a big, big way.
    And because the WriMos are too much fun to miss out on!

  The general, contagious excitement and creativity that is unleashed onto the internet is super infectious, and I find the adrenaline pumped air a heady boost to my usual creative output.
   The fun, the enthusiasm, the wild and wonderful plot doctoring... I love the NaNo site in November, when it comes alive like the toys after midnight. There are clowns walking on the ceiling and wooden soldiers dancing on the desk lamps. It's a crazy, beautiful festival of words, and the ideas and solutions I have found among the WriMos are beyond anything I've found anywhere else.
   These strange folk are extremely helpful and upbeat... and, we must admit, just a little weird; but that makes their eyes fresher, their brains quicker, their plot-hole fixing powers just that much more enhanced.

 I so enjoy their witty comebacks to any problem, their realistic assessments of book related facts, their inexorable power of creativity on any subject matter, however fantastical it may be.

 I love the exuberance of the electrons wafting off their activities all month long.

   That's why I do NaNoWriMo.
      And I'll actually start writing any day now.... any day...
 

5 comments:

Kelsey Bryant said...

I love the way you describe NaNoWriMo! You must be having so much fun.
I wish I could be a part of it, but I've got to figure out how to write faster before I try it one year, or else I'll inevitably fall short. And I do hate to lose. I am trying to write with a lot of discipline this month though, only at my own pace!
Go Elizabeth!!

Unknown said...

The fellowship with other writers does sound fun. :) But I'm like Kelsey. I write too slow. But it's great you can always come up with something to write!. :D

Unknown said...

Haha, sounds like those sites are fun.

E. KaIser Writes said...

Hey girls!
Yes, it can be a lot of fun... though sometimes it was more fun to just lurk before I started actually participating in the challenge itself! Not enough time!!

I know what you mean about writing slowly... but that may change as you get further in to it. So I'd recommend hopping over and just snooping through the genre forum of choice; you can get a kick out of some of the trope threads!
Anyway, must dash!!

Unknown said...

How exciting! I've never actually participated in NaNoWriMo. But I have challenged myself to work on a wip during November, which has helped me complete a couple of mss. My problem is starting a new novel when I haven't finished the current one. I seem to always be in the middle of one by the time November rolls around. But your article makes me want to participate even more. So maybe...just maybe 2014 will be my year to actually sign up.