Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Slick E-book Sales Graph!

  With all the attention that e-publishing has been getting lately from just about everyone in the chain of book-to-reader, sometimes I wonder what is actually happening. Who is getting famous, making lots of money, etc.?
  Can we find some statistics somewhere, to get a better image in our heads?
The answer is... Yes! Actually, I just did; I came across this super interesting post by Derek J. Canyon over on his info-rich blog, Adventures in ePublishing. 
  He put together a highly interesting set of graphs and statistics, and this is my favorite. Straight up, the best selling e-book genres, all ina nice handy pie chart.  (I love pie charts! So easy on the brain.)


 What do you think? How much would the best-selling-ness of a genre influence you toward writing it?

8 comments:

Kelsey Bryant said...

It doesn't influence me very much, because I have to write what I feel I can do well, and romance and thrillers aren't included. :D I'd be too afraid of bad reviews! (I'm doing a historical romance right now, but it's more for the history and the Austen-ness of it than the romance...I wonder what traditional romance readers would think of it?)

E. KaIser Writes said...

Yes, I know, Kelsey! :-) I don't think writing strictly for a "selling genre" is a long term recipe for happiness in general. ;-)
Though I'm sure the argument can be made that a good "hack writer" can write anything... not sure how the readers would feel about that. ;-)

Deborah O'Carroll said...

Interesting! (I love pie charts too. XD) Now that post WAS from four years ago, so things may have changed a lot by now... these sorts of things do change, especially with the epublishing industry skyrocketing the last few years. But still very intriguing!

And I could never write what was "popular" or in high demand, because I don't choose what I write -- it chooses me! I have to tell the stories that are in my mind to tell, and if no one else likes them... oh well. :P Writing would be no fun if one had to write what someone else said... IMO. ;)

Of course, it's good to see that Fantasy is third-highest on that list... ;)

E. KaIser Writes said...

Good point, Deborah!
THough I doubt much has changed in that respect over the recent years... there is a neat set of pie charts concerning indie-vs-trad pubbbed-vs-other over here:
http://authorearnings.com/report/january-2015-author-earnings-report/
put on by Hugh Howey and his anonymous friend Data Guy.

It's pretty interesting stuff! ;-)
You might like to take a look.

Anonymous said...

Another place to keep up with what's going on epublishing is http://authorearnings.com/

Anonymous said...

Whoops, great minds. I just saw your comment LOL :)

E. KaIser Writes said...

Thanks, Tina! Yes, it's wonderful to have access to such information!!! :-)

Deborah O'Carroll said...

Fascinating! Thanks for the link, Elizabeth! :)