Saturday, May 19, 2018

Indie e-Con Scavenger Hunt 2018 - Stop #14

Okay! Well, Indie E-Con is barreling right up!!! *Gulp* (That arrived sooner than expected, time just flies around here!)
  (Isn't that a lovely graphic, by the way? What a luscious combination of blues/blue shades!)

   So, today's the day that all the presenters for the Indie E-Con (next week) are supposed to share a little about themselves on each other's blogs... so that's me, and that's also Miss Morgan Huneke!!!

   (Isn't she the cutest thing? The first time I saw her online, that's the thought that popped into my head. "Aw... she's so cute! And lovely hair..."
  [disclaimer]*I want to tack an addendum of apology on to this confession; in case she's the type that "just wants to breath fire", like the little dragon in Kingdom Chronicles, episode of Patch the Pirate.  My mom is super cute, and super Un-Stoppable, I know what it's like to be adorable and demand to be taken seriously... so for me the two are not at all exclusive!)

{By the way, I loved that Celtic skirling song in that episode! So good.) If you don't know what I'm referring to, do be encouraged to investigate further!)* [/disclaimer]


   Anyway, check out Morgan's About Me, (linked above) and all her books!

  It's all part of the Great Indie E-Con Scavenger Hunt, wherein you can win fancy prizes and have fun! (Details at end of post.) In case you're just joining in, it all starts at Kandi Wyatt's post. 

   Tricia Mingerink will be hosting me, so pop on over there to hear about my Top 5 influential books (more like Authors, since I can't contain myself on this subject) as well as a somewhat summation of  my Writing Themes. (Basically, why I write what I write, and what that kinda is!)


   Well, anyway, here's Morgan's Top Five books!

   5 Books/Series That Shaped Me As a Writer
 No author exists in a vacuum. There are influences everywhere. Our own lives, our families, our communities, the books we read. The books we read are enormously influential in shaping who we are as writers. If you are what you eat, you write what you read. Here are the top 5 books/series that shaped me as a writer.
 5.Elsie Dinsmore Series by Martha Finley
While Martha Finley tends to commit lots of literary sins, I love her writing style. The old-fashioned language is amazing, and it definitely influenced my own writing style, though it is more prominent in some books than in others.
 4.Little House: The Caroline Years by Maria D. Wilkes and Celia Wilkins
I debated which historical fiction to include on this list because there are so many, but these were my favorite as a kid, so they won. It doesn’t matter what story I’m writing, what genre, what time period, there is always an American history element. History is amazing, and I want everyone to get as excited about it as I do.
 3.The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
Dungeons! If you were to ask me why I love throwing my characters in the dungeon, I would immediately point you here. It’s a fabulous book, and it permanently infused my imagination with dungeon love. I’ve yet to publish a book that does not feature imprisoning my characters in some way—The Experiment is the only one to feature a prison cell that is not in a literal dungeon.
 2.A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
This book was my introduction to science fiction, and one of those books that shaped my writer mind and imagination in a big way. It—along with The Giver by Lois Lowry—is a huge influence in my dystopian-esque writings, and it encourages me to weave in those political, faith-based themes that are prominent in my writing.
 1. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
How could my all-time favorite series not make it onto this list? Read any of my books and you’ll find Narnia influence everywhere, whether it’s references (both explicit and obscure), big things like the premise of children having to save a fantasy world, and small things like the general flavor and feel of the book. I’ve had numerous books compared favorably to Narnia, and there is no greater compliment.



 Okay, on to the details of the hunt! Visit all these blog posts in order to collect the clues, and then use them to fill in the blanks on the statement-graphic above! (Kind of like hang-man, but hopefully no one will get hung with this one. )
   The clue for this post is:
 

Scavenger Hunt Giveaway Package:
Ace Carroway 2-Book Set
3 random ebooks from Indie e-Con authors
Cover Design by Alea Harper
Bookshelf Necklace donated by Rachel Rossano

(Please note that the Ace Carroway Paperbacks and the Bookshelf necklace are US only.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Chronicles of Narnia and Little House...both amazing series! ❤️

Sarah Pennington said...

I love your list of influential reads! The Caroline books were some of my favorites too when I was younger. And I find the bit about Despereaux inspiring you to throw your characters into dungeons rather amusing. xD

E. KaIser Writes said...

Thanks for stopping by so soon, ladies!!!
And Sarah, yes, I feel a bit sorry for Morgan's characters, doomed to dungeons the minute they enter her head! ;-) Hahah!

Brie Donning said...

My characters are doomed to dancing. I will write a story someday that doesn't including dance in some form, but I haven't got one beyond the planning stages.

E. KaIser Writes said...

Brie, hahah!! :-) Well, that's at least a pleasanter inevitability than being locked up... though it must have a deeper meaning of some hidden character trait in you! ;-)